Staff – Our Administration

Who are our administration staff?

Our administration staff are the people who support our mentor teachers and the students of KiHS. Located mostly in Thunder Bay and Balmertown, each member of the administration staff fulfills a unique role and are an invaluable part of the KiHS team!

Get to know them below!

Angela Batsford, Principal

Booshoo! Waachiye! Aanii!

Angela Batsford nitishinihkaas. Angela Batsford tesenekahsoon. Thunder Bay nitoonciin. Thunder Bay toos chiin.

I am the principal at KiHS. I currently live in Thunder Bay, On. In my spare time I enjoy gardening, cooking, baking, and eating those things! As well, I like running, biking, and sewing. You may see me running around your community at one time too.

I look forward to meeting all of you this year online and I hope to see you in one of my courses. You can reach me anytime at angelabatsford@edu.knet.ca or at Tel. 807-735-1381 ext. 3005.

Angela Batsford, Ed.D.

Sarah Johnson, Vice Principal

Waachiiye,

Sarah Johnson nitishinhkaas. North Caribou Lake First Nation nitooncii. North Caribou Lake is also known as Weagamow Lake and Round Lake. I am KiHS Vice-Principal this year.

I have worked and visited in many of your communities except to the northeast area of our NAN territory. I have enjoyed the friendships of our Elders and embracing the uniqueness of language and culture of each community. One of my favourite activities in the past was an Elder’s retreat in Fort Severn and a huge one in Sioux Lookout. Remember to take time to visit your grandparents and Elders. Know who you are as a Cree, Ojibway, and Oji-Cree Anishinaabe. You will do great in two worlds.

Thomas Choong, Guidance Counselor

Hello,

My name is Thomas Choong, I am your newly appointed guidance counselor with this fine academic institution.  It is my pleasure to serve you, teachers and students, and your guidance needs.  

This year, I will be here to assist your in creating pathways towards your success.  Whether it be through course selection, pathways planning, or just chatting with you about your goals or concerns, I am happy to be of service.  

When I’m not working, my main areas of focus are my family and boxing. I am an avid fan of the sport, along with having had a brief amateur career and completed my Ontario coaching certifications. 

If you need any assistance with the courses, or have any desire to “shoot the breeze” about anything at all, please feel free to contact me via email at thomaschoong@edu.knet.ca.

Let’s all have a great year!

Erin Litwin, Administrative Assistant

Erin is the glue that binds KiHS together. She works out of the head office in Balmertown Ontario. She coordinates staff meetings, travel, expenses and makes everything happen. She can be reached at the Main Office at Extension 1298

Heather Mawakeesic, Financial Clerk

Hello my name is Heather Mawakeesic. I am a proud graduate of the KiHS program. I loved it so much, I now work here! I am also a busy mother of 3 children and 2 cats.

You can find me at the main office in Thunder Bay behind my wall of boxes and supplies. I am the financial clerk for KiHS and I am responsible for ordering and shipping of the teachers supplies, data filing and student OSR’s.

If you have any questions, you can shoot me a message at heathermawakeesic@edu.knet.ca.

Petra Latt, Land Based Lead

Hello everyone, my name is Petra and I am the Land Based coordinator and will also be involved in some of the English
course you may take.

I hope to travel to the 15 KIHS communities to meet as many of you as possible. Over the years I have been a facilitator of learning in a variety of educational setting, from K-12 to post -secondary pathways. For the past 5 years I worked in a remote setting and facilitated and guided the learning in Co-op, Hospitality, and English courses.

My husband and I are proud parents of two amazing young women and grandparents to Nora and Fritz. We love spending time together as a family, with our extended family of friends here in Canada and in
Europe. In my spare time I love reading, listen to music, cooking, and baking.

Hopefully you will see me walking around in your community soon and we get to meet to talk, sharing food, and listen to amazing stories.

See you,

Petra

Linda Johnson, Student Success Coordinator

Boosoo, Welcome,

My name is Linda Johnson, and this is my 20th year with KiHS. I have been working the last 12 years in KiHS Office in Balmertown, as your Student Success-Retention Lead. Before that I lived and taught in North Caribou Lake First Nation for 4 years, and Kejick Bay, Lac Seul First Nation for 3 years, totaling 19 years teaching in beautiful Northwest Ontario.

As your Student Success-Retention Lead, communicating and tracking your progress on an individual basis is my main objective to ensure that you are successful in your courses and achieve your goals to graduate. Hopefully, I will be able to visit all our KiHS classrooms and communities this school year. Please know that I am always available either by phone, email, texting and/or social media to help you, our KiHS students, parents, guardians and teachers/mentors.

Also, I will be teaching the following courses: Visual Arts, Media Arts, Digital Photography and Preparation course for the Literacy Test. I love being creative and finding new ways to make things, so using computers, digital cameras, art supplies (ie. painting and printmaking) and exploring new technology are my most favorite things to do!

I’m looking forward to another wonderful school year and so happy to be back.

Miigwech!

Lorne Goring, Adult Education and Cooperative Education Lead

Boozhoo. My name is Lorne Goring. I work from the Balmertown office overseeing our PLAR and cooperative education programs. I have visited all of our KiHS communities and look forward to seeing many of you this year.

I live in Balmertown/Red Lake. I love the outdoors, specifically fishing, hunting and spending time at the cabin. I also enjoy sports. Football, hockey and golf primarily.

Please talk to your mentor about PLAR and cooperative education. They are both excellent opportunities to earn credits. PLAR is our adult education programs. If you are over 18 years of age, please ask your mentor or myself about PLAR opportunities.

Contact me if you have any questions at lornegoring@edu.knet.ca, or extension 1388. Have a great year at KiHS!

Susan Hartig, Wellness Worker

Hello I am Susan Hartig and I am delighted to be a wellness worker for KiHS and I am looking forward to meeting and working with all of you.

I was born in Alberta but chose to live in the Thunder Bay Kaministiquia area for more than 30 years enjoying nature and loving the adventure of the outdoors. In my spare time I have travelled and lived around the world developing my love for languages, customs, cultures, legends and people that I can learn from and bring back to my community. I am also an Artist and I love to draw and paint being greatly influenced by all the talented artists always emerging in Northwestern Ontario.

Melissa Black, Special Education

My name is Melissa Black. I was born in Stratford, Ontario.

I started working for KiHS in 2008. For much of that time, I lived in Poplar Hill. Now I am living in Balmertown and working as the Special Education Resource Lead. You will probably see me sometime throughout the school year as I travel to classrooms to help students who learn best in different ways.

I enjoy camping, history, food, and most of all, spending time with friends and family.

If you need to contact me, call me on the IP phone, x1357 or email me at melissablack@edu.knet.ca

Kathleen Koostachin, Native Language Lead

Wachiye, booshoo! Aanii! Beindigain! Miikwehc kitch-Manito nookoom kakeshikak. I would like to thank you, First Nations, for welcoming me to your traditional territory and treaty lands, in that I humbly work for your young people through my work with education. I am acknowledging that the lands I work on. The traditional territory of First Nations and the treaty people across Turtle Island.

Kathleen Koostachin nitishinihkaasin. Wasaho, nitoociin.

A little introduction: I have been with KiHS for 12 years. My First Language is Oji-Cree, born and raised in Big Trout Lake, now known as K.I., and I spent time growing up with family in Wunnimun Lake. My husband Chris and I love the land, we feel so humbled to be connected to the ancestral lands and the connection we feel from our ancestors who left their legacy with keeping our spoken language and passing their knowledge to us to enables us to continue practicing our land base traditional activities. We have raised 4 children, John George, Isaiah, Christa, and Christyn, who are basically leading their own lives. We don’t have any grandchildren yet. We love our cats, who are fur babies.

When you have any questions or you want any information. Please, contact me. I would love to talk with you. I am always wanting to learn new things. You learn something new each day.

Nikki Osborne, Graduation Coach

Hello and Booshoo!

My name is Nikki and I am thrilled to be teaching with KiHS this year!

I started teaching in Deer Lake where I was the grade 7 and 9 teacher for four years. I have since spent the last two years teaching at DFC in Thunder Bay.

When I’m not in the classroom, I love camping, hiking, fishing and snowshoeing. I recently got a dog from Deer Lake who I’ve named Bernie. She loves joining me on hikes and boat rides.

I look forward to travelling to your communities as I work as a course instructor and the Grad Coach this year. This is going to be a great school year!

Krystyna Villanueva-Gruszecka, Guidance Counsellor / Online Teacher / New Teacher Development Lead

In addition to being an online teacher, Krystyna is the new teacher development lead for Keewaytinook Internet High School and a guidance counselor!

Jason Clement, Technology Lead

Hello! My name is Jason Clement.

I am the technology lead for KiHS, and this is my second year with KiHS.

I was born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Before joining KiHS, I spent two school years working in Webequie as a technology, science, and mathematics teacher. In my spare time I enjoy playing guitar and video games, tinkering with electronics, and travelling. You may see me in your communities from time to time, and I am excited to meet all of you!

You can reach me anytime at jasonclement@edu.knet.ca.